Amongst all the frenetic activity on the international scene, the silly season has gone into full swing. So lets see what the player accquisitions are for the Cheetahs, looking ahead to 2013. In addition lets look at some players that are making waves.
Coach Naka Drotske has requested to Griquas to offer JP Nel and Marnus Schoeman new contracts which would indicate that he has plans for them. JP Nel is no newcomer and his tough abrasive style will add a new dimension to the Cheetahs backline. Marnus Schoeman has finally delivered on the potential shown at age group level whilst at the Bulls. He is leading the stats (Verusco) for ruck steals and between him and Brüssow they could reek havoc.
Other players to mention, who are making waves and who we can keep an eye on, include Raymond Rhule and Griffons pivot Hansie Graaff.
Other notable signings by the Cheetahs are:
- Brummer Badenhorst (Loosehead Prop) – Junior Bok in 2010 and ex Maties and WP u/21 (189 cm/122 kg’s, 22)
- AJ le Roux (Hooker) – ex Blue Bulls u/19 and u/21 before moving to the Lions (180cm, 108 kg’s, 22)
- Torsten van Jaarsveld (Hooker) – ex Pumas (176 cm, 100 kg’s, 25)
- Joubert Engelbrecht (Centre) – ex Leopards, but was Griquas Craven week (190 cm, 97 kg’s, 23)
- Hansie Graaff (Flyhalf) – at Griffons and Varsity Cup (190 cm, 90 kg’s, 23)
- Rossouw de Klerk (Tighthead Prop) – ex Blue Bulls (186 cm, 116 kg’s, 23)
- Caylib Oosthuizen (Loosehead Prop) – ex Lions, Junior Bok 2009 (186 cm, 114 kg’s, 23)
In addition the other players amongst the franchise partners that could still be contracted but whom we will discuss when it’s confirmed, are players like Walter Venter, Luzuko Vulindlu, Jannie Boschoff, Jacques Coetsee and Edwin Hewitt.
Exciting developments at the Cheetahs franchise indeed!